It’s bound to happen. You wake up, open presents and immediately start pulling things out to make that Christmas dinner. But, you suddenly realize that you don’t have enough of that must-have ingredient. Maybe you didn’t have quite enough butter for both the Christmas side dishes and that Christmas cake you bookmarked. Maybe you forgot the root beer you needed to glaze the Christmas ham in that one recipe. Or maybe someone used up the last of the milk setting out holiday cookies for Santa last night and now there’s none for the coffee. ?
Whatever it is, suddenly you need to go to the grocery store and it’s Christmas Day (yikes).
That’s where our list of grocery stores open on Christmas comes in handy. Most stores, including many grocery stores, are closed on December 25. But some grocery stores, convenience stores, and dollar stores do stay open for the big holiday. (Check out Walmart’s Christmas hours, Publix’s Christmas hours, stores open on Christmas, and dollar stores open on Christmas here.)
Your options are much better on Christmas Eve, of course, so try to dash out for any last-minute Christmas gifts or necessities at that time. Come the next day, you’ll have fewer choices. But you’re not entirely stuck. Make sure to note that each of these stores’ hours may vary by location, so use the online store locators or call ahead before you head out the door. There’s nothing worse than spending 10 minutes scraping windshields and piling in the car just to be greeted by a locked door at your destination.
Convenience and Grocery Stores Open on Christmas Day
It’s slim pickings when it comes to grocery stores that are open on December 25. That’s why we’ve also included a few pharmacies and convenience stores (and, okay, Starbucks too!), which often carry basics like bread and milk. Most branches will be open for Christmas, and many carry at least some of basic necessities you’re likely looking for. Here are the openings we know about so far, according to press representatives who’ve independently confirmed their hours with Country Living and reporting from The Balance.
- 7-Eleven (Most 7-Elevens are open 24 hours, 7 days a week—and that includes Christmas Day.)
- Albertsons (Most Albertsons will be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
- Casey’s (typically not open until 10 a.m.)
- Circle K/Couche-Tard (most locations are open 24/7)
- Cumberland Farms (most locations open at 7 a.m.)
- CVS (typically open 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Christmas Day)
- Giant Food Stores (Most stores will be open between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.)
- Rite Aid (Most Rite Aid locations are open 24/7, including Christmas Day.)
- Safeway (Hours vary by location so make sure to check your local store’s hours.)
- Sheetz (open 24/7)
- Speedway (open 24/7)
- Starbucks (A spokesperson told Country Living that “select locations” will be open, so check with your closest store.)
- Wawa (regular hours)
Grocery Stores Closed on Christmas Day
If your go-to grocery store is on this list, try to make do with what you have (or visit one of the aforementioned convenience stores). The following are reported to shut their doors in recognition of the holiday—but remember to double-check with your local branch.
- Dollar General
- Dollar Tree
- Family Dollar
- Sam’s Club
- Stop & Shop
- Trader Joe’s
- Whole Foods
Grocery Stores Open on Christmas Eve
Try to get any last-minute errands done the day before. Most grocery stores are open on Christmas Eve, albeit with limited hours. We were able to confirm the following. (Of course, it’s best to prepare those Christmas dinner menus now so that you don’t have to leave the house at all—whether you shop locally or online!)
- ALDI: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- BJ’s: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Costco: 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- H-E-B: 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Hy-Vee: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Publix: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Sam’s Club: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Target: 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Trader Joe’s: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Walmart: Open until 6 p.m.
- Whole Foods: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. (Hours may vary by location)