Have you ever heard of John Wayne Casserole? Delicious layers of ground beef, cheese mixture, fresh vegetables and Jalapeno peppers baked on top of a biscuit crust make for an amazing weeknight dinner!
There’s an interesting story about this casserole below, but what you really need to know is that it’s a delicious option for a dinner leftovers too!
See more: john wayne casserole recipe
John Wayne Casserole Recipe
Like my taco empanadas, this recipe is one of my top picks for dinner ideas that use ground beef. Casseroles are really popular, but it’s taken me up until the last ten years to really embrace them. This is one of my favorites, along with my Hamburger Casserole!
Why is it called John Wayne Casserole?
Apparently, this John Wayne Casserole recipe has some interesting origins, including information on why it’s named what it is. Regardless of its origins, it’s a tasty dinner that your family will love. The jalapenos do not make this too hot, so don’t be too concerned about that. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Ingredients you will need:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or you can use my homemade taco seasoning)
- 1 16-ounce can large biscuits (or homemade biscuits)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 8-ounces cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced Jalapeno peppers
- 13×9 baking dish (I just bought two of these and LOVE them!)
Making this casserole
I used Pillsbury Grands biscuits. I’m sure a generic or store brand would be fine as well. I don’t think I would bother making biscuits from scratch for this since they are just going to get buried, but if you prefer to do that, here’s a recipe for homemade biscuits you can use.
View more: Cristiano Ronaldo Výška tělesné statistiky
Place biscuits in greased 13×9 pan in a single layer and press into the pan, joining them together, pressing the dough halfway up the sides of the pan. Place pan on a baking sheet and bake dough in preheated oven on the center rack for 15-25 minutes at 350 F; checking every few minutes after 15.
The dough should be very light brown where the edges are just starting to get color. Remove from oven and set aside, leave oven on.
In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, half of the cheddar cheese, and half of onions. Stir well and set aside.
Combine the browned ground beef with the taco seasoning and water, and cook according to packet instructions. Transfer cooked taco meat to a bowl and set aside. Wipe out pan.
Saute remaining onions and bell peppers on the taco meat pan until slightly tender.
View more: Zing NewsTri thức trực tuyến
On top of baked biscuit crust, layer ingredients in the following order: taco meat, tomato slices, bell pepper and onion mixture, Jalapeno peppers, sour cream mixture and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until edges of dough are lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Hope you enjoy it, I know we did!
More Casseroles you might like:
A lot of people have commented below saying they love this John Wayne Casserole and it’s become a regular part of their recipe rotation. I have some more casseroles you’ll like as well. Try some of these and let me know!
- A very popular ground beef or lamb recipe is Shepherd’s Pie. It’s one of those comforting recipes, and one that’s been around for a long time. There are so many different versions of Shepherds and Cottage Pie. This is my take on the classic, and it’s one the whole family loves!
- I grew up eating beef stew. Turning it into a simple casserole, especially fun little single servings was easy to do. My Beef Stew Biscuit Pot Pie pictured below has become a family favorite. It’s a great way to combine comfort food and the ease of a casserole in one. It’s also perfect for leftover stew!
- One of my favorite casseroles of all time doesn’t actually have any meat in it. On top of it, yes, but not in it! I’m a potato lover through and through, and I live in Wisconsin, so cheese is pretty much inevitable. The first time I made these Bacon Topped Three Cheese Potatoes I knew they would be a hit.
- This Chicken Tostada Casserole is truly delicious. If you’re looking for something to use leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken in, try this enchilada flavored dish. I use homemade enchilada sauce, the recipe for that is available in the tostada casserole post as well. But if you prefer, you can use canned.
- I remember when I made this Sweet Italian Sausage, Pepper and Potato Bake for the first time. It was a recipe I developed on my own and it ended up with a bit too much liquid. But that did not stop us from eating the entire dish! In fact, it’s kind of like a stew and casserole in one!
- One of our most popular dinners is this Mexican Chicken Casserole, hearty and full of delicious flavors.
- Beef stroganoff casserole is a hearty weeknight dinner the whole family will love thanks to its rich flavors and creamy sauce.
- Not only is this 7 Layer Casserole affordable but it’s quick and easy to make in a pinch.
More from other blogs:
- Southwestern Tatertots Casserole from Tatertots & Jello
- Skinny Turkey Enchilada Casserole from DIY Candy
This post was originally published here on Apr 22, 2015.